Monday, December 01, 2008

Mom's original cornbread dressing

I eat tons of dressing at the holidays. I joke that I'm making up for all those years as a kid that I thought I hated it and wouldn't even try it!

Carolyn's cornbread recipe (I usually double this recipe to make a full iron skillet)
1 c cornmeal MIX
3/4 c milk or buttermilk
1 egg dash salt and pepper
heat oil to cover bottom of iron skillet. Heat in oven (475)Mix rest of ingredients to make batter. when oil is hot, pour into prepared bowl of batter. stir well, then pour all back into skillet. Bake for 20 minutes.

Mom's Cornbread Dressing (updated by me with wheat bread instead of white, and a little more cornbread than bread)
1 recipe cornbread (2 1/2 c)
2 c white bread crumds (1 1/2 c whole wheat bread)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 1/2 cans chicken broth
season to taste with sage and poultry seasoning. add more broth if needed.
mix together, bake in buttered casserole dish. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes

No comments: